Saturday, February 22, 2014

REVIEW: Maybelline Color Elixir

After all the hype over the Maybelline Color Elixirs I simply had to try them. Essiebutton has been particularly obsessed, if you watch her channel or read her blog. Soon after deciding to try them for myself I found a printable coupon for any Maybelline lip product, so I decided fate was telling me to give them a go.

I picked up the color XX, which is a nice sheer mauve tone. To be honest, I was a bit scared that it would be too opaque. I love mauves, but they sometimes clash with my skin tone. This one, thankfully, is a bit sheer and not too violet, so looks beautiful on my lips. My natural lip color shines through a bit but mixes well with the tint of the Elixir.

My bare lips 

With the Elixir on

The formula isn't too thick and definitely isn't sticky. It goes on a bit wet but dries a little bit as time goes on. It's the perfect amount of glossy, in my opinion- shiny, but not the equivalent of a disco ball on your lips.
My only complaint is the lasting power of this product: I can't even make it through an hour without having to reapply. The Elixir leaves behind a little bit of a stain after the gloss has faded, but even that doesn't last long. I realize it's a gloss, but for some reason I had the impression that it would be a bit longer-lasting. I think this is partly my own fault, for not doing all my research, but also partly the fault of Maybelline- I really didn't understand exactly what this product was from their advertising. How should I know what an elixir is? Is it a gloss? A stain? A glossy stain? Etc.

Overall, I really enjoy this product and will definitely go back for more, especially now that I'm aware of how sheer they actually are (some of the colors don't look so scary any more!). But, if you're looking for long-lasting glossy color, I'd point you instead towards the L'Oreal Color Riche Caresse Wet Shine Stain.

No comments:

Post a Comment